The Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet is dedicated to fostering and promoting the state's rich heritage as well as continuing Kentucky's long history of being a premiere travel destination for all travelers to enjoy. The Cabinet serves as Kentucky's top tourism agency, and collaborates with local tourism partners to coordinate tourism, arts and heritage efforts through legislation, tourism development, and marketing/outreach. Kentucky tourism is an $11.8 billion industry that brings millions of visitors to the Commonwealth each year. As one of the state's largest economic generators, tourism serves as a mechanism for driving economic growth in communities within all 120 Kentucky counties.
Under the leadership of Secretary Berry, the Cabinet oversees the following agencies:
- Department of Tourism
- Department of Parks
- Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Kentucky Humanities Council
- Kentucky Heritage Council
- Kentucky Venues
- Center for African American Heritage
- Kentucky Performing Arts
- Governor's School for the Arts
- Kentucky Artisan Center in Berea
- Kentucky Arts Council
- Kentucky Horse Park
Support the promotion and development of Kentucky tourism, arts and heritage as a mechanism to foster economic growth, education and employment for communities throughout the commonwealth while appealing as a destination to a diverse audience at home, nationally and internationally.
Tourism, the arts and Kentucky heritage are the focus of the cabinet. The Cabinet fosters tourism development by promoting and supporting new attractions, accommodations, expanding existing tourism venues, convention/conference marketing, and sports venues.
The Cabinet encourages and provides support in market development for our artists, historic downtown re-development, equine headquarters promotion, increased recreation opportunities, attracting international trade shows/sporting events, and expanding museums and special exhibits. All these activities contribute to Kentucky's economic success.
- Promote Kentucky as an inclusive travel experience that welcomes visitors of diverse backgrounds and interests.
- Foster and promote the unique and creative brand of Kentucky arts by supporting artists, artisans and performance venues as representatives of a dynamic and diverse culture.
- Protect and conserve Kentucky's natural resources and to be responsible stewards of the “Nation's Finest" state park system while promoting these opportunities to tourists, sportsmen and sportswomen.
- Respect the rich history and heritage of Kentucky by honoring the journey of our past, celebrating the culture of our present and preparing for our potential future growth.
- Grow Kentucky's economy by encouraging tourism development in rural and urban communities to foster economic growth and tourism recovery during and following the COVID-19 pandemic
- Protect and strengthen local communities through collaboration with stakeholders at the international, national, state and local level to promote tourism in all 120 Kentucky counties.
- Invest in education and workforce development by educating Kentuckians about Kentucky's natural and cultural resources to spark creativity and interest in pursuing employment opportunities in the tourism/hospitality sector.
- Respect Kentucky's history and heritage by investing in and promoting the rich history and heritage of Kentucky and ensuring our programs and services represent diversity and culture.